Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Crossing Genres

I missed last week, so this week I'm going to tackle a couple of things I've seen or heard.

Some authors take a chance to write in different genres but it can be hit or miss. Take for instance Maya Banks. She wrote in 2007/2008 for Harlequin’s line Silhouette before writing for Berkeley and Samhain. She mainly sticks to contemporary, her newest series being her first foray in historical, which I know lot of people are loving.

But there is another side to it - when authors shouldn’t have tackled a genre. I read one such book a couple of years ago, due to the fact the author was fantastic writer and I was into the ménage at the time. All my friends knew her as paranormal/contemporary author but this new fantasy book by her was a huge disappointment. In fact, I was put off reading that particular genre for a couple of months and only recently began to get back into the fantasy genre.

Then there is the new wave of mixed genre books. I haven't personally read one of these yet. I'm sticking to my old favourites for now, but it's exciting to hear about such experiments. There are some great new authors in each particular genre, but  I don't know any outstanding authors (besides Maya Banks) whom I have read that have successfully crossed genres. Hopefully, in the future we will see more such attempts.

Fashionta

0 comments:

Post a Comment