Thursday, March 15, 2012

Secrets of the Lotus by Michelle Garren Flye

Summary:
What would you trade for the story of a lifetime -- a lifetime of love?

Society reporter Josie Stewart is all too familiar with billionaire Dan Mason, who recently took over the reins of his ailing father's business. He has no intention of allowing anything, even his own conscience, to get in his way.

When Josie accidentally uncovers one of the family secrets, she glimpses a side of Dan that most people never get to see. Drawn to him, she puts her own career and reputation in jeopardy to keep his secrets. But some of those secrets are darker than she knew. Neither Dan nor Josie expects the danger lurking in their future -- or the passion.

Reviewer: Dolce Amore
As a society reporter for New York Life, Josie Stewart managed to sneak in to the birthday party of Dan Mason. There, she finds out that his father, ex-mayor of New York, has Alzheimer. She agrees to delay reporting this news, until twenty four hours before Dan will officially announce it, in exchange for a private interview.

At first, for Dan, having a relationship with Josie was a way of hiding what he was doing; however, he didn’t count on the feelings he starts to have for her.

When Josie vomits onto the shoes of the ambassador’s wife at a party, he takes her home and stays with her. They have a very funny conversation; here are some glimpses:
“What are you going to do here though?”
“Take care of you. Can I make you something to eat?”
“You cook too? How is it nobody’s ever been able to snag you and settle you down, Dan Mason?”
“I’m too ornery. And no, I don’t cook much, but I could microwave some soup, and I’m not bad at grilled cheese.”
“Men are extremely predictable in the arena of sex and food.”
“How so?”
“They are inextricably linked in the male psyche and, as you are not supposed to be having sexual thoughts about me, all I had to do was pretend I was turned on by your grilled cheese sandwich and presto, it’s all mine.”
Dan helps her with her project, “Second Chance of a Lifetime”:
“I was thinking something like a garage, maybe a body shop, possibly with a sideline in something like classic car restoration. I think it would make money. I really, truly believe these people need someone to show them they believe in them.”
It was her brother, James who inspired her, because he was stuck in prison and she wanted to help him and other people like him once they are released.

Josie’s relation with her mother is a bit rough and this is what she wanted to say on one occasion when she asked if Josie was dating someone:
“Yeah, there’s this one guy I’m sort of dating. He’s a billionaire, gorgeous—a real catch. He can make me feel like Cinderella without even trying. And I’ll be damned if I can figure out why he doesn’t make a move on me or if I even want him to.”
But she didn’t.

When James dies, she is devastated, but she still has Dan. However, when she is kidnapped and finds out the truth about her lover, will she still find her “happily ever after”?

Although I didn’t love this story as much as the previous book I’ve read written by Michelle Garren Flye, it is a lovely and wonderful story. I must say, I wanted a larger dose of humor, like the one from Winter Solstice; but Winter Solstice is the latest of Michelle Garren Flye’s books. That makes me wonder what I will find in her next release, a book from Carina Press, but I will wait impatiently.

I will rate the book 4.5 stars, as I didn’t felt the same connection with the story and the characters as in Winter Solstice.

Publisher: Lyrical Press

0 comments:

Post a Comment