Tuesday, June 19, 2012

F814 (Cyborgs: More Than Machines, #2) by Eve Langlais

Summary:
She thought herself a robot, defective and unique among her kind, until he taught her how to live again.

F814 exists to serve the humans until they decide to terminate her. An instinct for survival makes her fight, but when she achieves freedom, she discovers she cannot throw off the chains of habit. Everything changes when another flesh covered droid arrives, a cyborg he calls himself, who teaches her she is more than a machine.

Solus hates humanity, and even though he was born as a flawed human, he strives to eradicate all traces of it from his persona—until he meets F814. Meeting and touching her releases something in him. Has him yearning for things he doesn’t understand. Makes him long for…affection.

Before he can learn to love though, he must first tackle the task of reminding F814 that she is more than the sum of her mechanical parts. But of course, when dealing with an illogical thing like emotions, there is no sure plan for success.

Warning: May induce a craving for a cyborg of your own.


I dreamt I was once human. I lived a nightmare as a robot. But love taught me I was more than a machine.


Reviewer: Dolce Amore
Let me gush! I love how Ms. Eve Langlais starts this book. F814 (aka Fiona) is not a droid, although they made her believe it. She was a woman and she remembers her former life only in her dreams. She is disturbed with feelings that start to fill her head, she doesn't even know what they are and fears she might be reprogrammed if discovered.


In my dreams, I have a name. A home. A family and friends.
I can even see their faces and hear their voices. Feel their hugs and affection. Bask in the warmth of their love.
In my dreams, I am different, carefree, and happy. I speak when I want to. I feel emotions, a torrent of them, and stranger than that, my body is entirely covered in pink flesh. My hair is long and unbound, silky strands of gold that swirl around me, clinging to my brightly colored garments.
In my dreams, I recall a time when I still know how to sing, laugh, and dance.
In my dreams, I am alive.

Abused and slated for termination, she decides she had enough. She strikes back, defending herself against the humans from the mining operation where she works, fighting until she is the only one standing. Afterwards, she is tormented to find she's unable to truly break free, to throw off the chains of habit. However, she discovers she is more than a machine with the arrival of another flesh covered droid, a cyborg, whose touch releases something in both of them.



Solus, outspoken and defiant, hates humanity even though he was born a flawed human and wants to eradicate every trace of his humanity—until he meets F814. She stirs something inside him and makes him yearn for things he doesn't understand. He promises to find Chloe’s sisters—she was one of thirteen female cyborg.
Given less power and strength, the military used them in torturous experiments, abused their bodies in such a degrading fashion that Solus felt like the planet’s biggest cybernetic asshole for the way he initially treated Chloe.


In their search for information and supplies, Solus and his team go to the mining operation where F814 was living. Solus falls in love with the cyborg who thinks herself a machine and he will do anything to protect her and to make her realize that she is much more than a machine. Especially when one of her abusers is there to kill her.

OMG, every new book of Ms Eve Langlais is better than the previous one! This one has more feeling than the previous book from the series (C791), which allowed me to identify with the story and the wonderful characters at every step of the book. Its majesty left me slack-jawed and speechless. This book is a true piece of art. 5 stars.


Publisher: Eve Langlais
Review Courtesy Of: ManicReaders


0 comments:

Post a Comment